Mellow in Yellow


When you're on vacation, there's nothing quite like being able to enjoy your breakfast at a leisurely rate without the dark cloud of work or school looming over your eggs and hashbrown. Now that I'm no longer on a Chinese tour that requires me to wake up everyday at 6:00 am to have breakfast by 6:30 am, I'm able to wake up when I feel like it (or for as long as I can ignore the noises of my parents and relatives making breakfast outside my bedroom). While it's a feeling that I should be reveling in, I think that the old adage "the grass always seems greener on the other side" holds true; I find that I'm already missing the hustle and bustle of my usual busy schedule in Vancouver.

Nevertheless, I'm certainly having fun eating delicious and cheap food, shopping to my heart's content (and my wallet's dismay), and exploring both old and new areas of Singapore. Today, I visited Haji Lane (a tiny road lined with interesting and hipster-looking boutiques), Bugis Junction, and Raffles Hotel; I also bought yet more items to add to my ever-growing Singaporean wardrobe.

Yesterday, my adventures were closer to nature as my family and I decided to visit the nearby island of Pulau Ubin. This tiny island is mostly jungle sprinkled with a few dilapidated houses, restaurants, and other small town structures. I am deeply convinced that village dogs outnumber the human villagers; we saw these thin, yet still cute, creatures wandering all over the island by themselves or in small packs. Since we had taken the bumboat over to the island after a major thunderstorm had ended, we ended up biking up and down trails filled with broken branches and even small trees littering the pathways. At one point, we had to get off our bikes and walk the rest of the way to the Chek Jawa wetlands areas as the path had been covered by two trees that had fallen during the thunder and lightning storm. In addition to all of that loveliness, my bike was extremely old and had no shocks to speak of. As a result, I nearly had several heart attacks riding down steep, wet hills covered with sharp rocks and deep potholes. Despite all of the setbacks, I truly enjoyed getting out of the city to witness nature and see new sights, such as a family of wild boar rooting for food a few feet away from us.




In these photos, I had just revisited an old favourite breakfast spot: the National University of Singapore (NUS). As my aunt now lives on the east coast of Singapore, we had to drive all the way over to the west coast to patronize our old favourite food stalls.



Singapore is really getting into the pro-environmental phase these days: I'm starting to see such campaigns being promoted in school cafeterias as the country tries to educate its youth on the importance of being "green".


My favourite: yong tau foo with kway teow (rice noodles) soup.


Top // Cotton On
Shorts & Shoes // Zara
Necklace // Aldo
Bag // Michael Kors



If you're in a new country, which do you enjoy more: visiting urban or rural sights?

Comments

  1. your island trip sounds magical (even with the scary bike!) any place with tons of dogs running around sounds good to me. i'm definitely a nature person, so i would've been super excited to see that family of wild boar!! love the color combo you're wearing here, especially the shoes! i can never get enough animal print.

    xo,
    gabby
    www.likealittlefox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eep! I'm totally digging this outfit on you - those shorts are darling!
    Miche from Buttons and Birdcages

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really, really nice look!
    The combination between pink and yellow is really great :)

    Hugs
    Svetlana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your meal looks delicious and your pictures are really cool.

    http://journalofapetitediva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your pairing of such bright colours! And I'm not usually that adventurous so I stick to what I know...the city.

    Sincerely,
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look so pretty (: and amazing outfit, hope you have a fun time in Palau Ubin! And to answer your question on my blog, my top is from cotton on (: x

    http://birdiethgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful look ;)
    Check out my blog!!! :)
    http://ggladies.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look amazing dear!


    http://helderschicplace.blogspot.com/2014/08/august.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. The food seems amazing *-*

    And I love the color of your short!!

    Bisous !
    Sofia
    http://nuagedemoutons.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  10. amazing! love your looks a lot!

    www.lilacwish.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing I really love it!
    Girl im beginning in the world of fashion bloggers. Here is my blog!
    Hope you like it!!!
    http://chicaenrollers.blogspot.com/2014/07/como-verte-bien-sin-que-se-note-que-te.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. The yellow and pink look gorgeous together

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, you look amazing! I really love the photos and your look! Got to love the yellow color on you :)

    xxx
    http://www.rockinheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely outfit, and I great travel shots! I know just what you mean about enjoying the leisure of vacation and just waking up slowly. It's such a nice feeling! I haven't quite reached the point where I miss having to wake up early because I only just arrived to Iran 2 weeks ago, although now that my internship starts tomorrow I don't much have a choice (i.e. waking up at 6am)...enjoy the slow mornings while they last! c;
    Also, I'd love to see more photos from your travels! c:

    <(') Hoda | JooJoo Azad ~ Free Bird

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely outfit, and I great travel shots! I know just what you mean about enjoying the leisure of vacation and just waking up slowly. It's such a nice feeling! I haven't quite reached the point where I miss having to wake up early because I only just arrived to Iran 2 weeks ago, although now that my internship starts tomorrow I don't much have a choice (i.e. waking up at 6am)...enjoy the slow mornings while they last! c;
    Also, I'd love to see more photos from your travels! c:

    <(') Hoda | JooJoo Azad ~ Free Bird

    ReplyDelete
  16. lovely your shorts!!!! So cute :)


    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. This look is beautiful - you have a lovely blog!

    Faye .xo

    fayeisabella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. AMAZING LOOK.
    XXX
    http://a-mylifestyle.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
  19. Debbie!!! as always you bring a super cute casual yet chic look,perfect for an adventurous day in another part of the world! love those yellow shorts! I love the fact that they are high-waisted and how you rock them with differet items! love the animal print sandals and that so so so beautiful MK little bag! by the way, I almost bought it yesterday haha and I felt so guitly because you already have it, so I didn't. Isn't it funny? I mean, is not like we hang out everyday together right? hahaha I guess we kind of do, through our blogs. Instead I'm debating in between a similar color but more to the purple side Ralph Lauren little bag or a small Furla candy in baby blue. Both great options! what do you think?

    I enjoyed reading all about your adventure getting into the country side. It kind of sucks that the road was so full of branches and trees and you couldn't enjoy as much riding your bike! but at least you made it without a scratch and got to see the beautiful new views!

    When I travel, I enjoy seeing a little bit of both, the urban side is awesome because you get to learn from the culture and the people. The country side is always full of nature and amazing views that you can't miss when you go to a new place, so yup a little bit of both :)

    Oh before I forget... a backpack!!!! I've been thinking about purchasing one too, they are so trendy right now and there are so many beautiful out there! I think your new backpack is going to be perfect for your trip! to take all your essentials without having one arm sore haha I can not wait to see how style it :)

    Did you boyfriend get there safe?
    Looking forward your new post,

    XOXO

    Milu
    www.hellolupi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. i really like your pic of flashy colors! the yellow hotpants and the pink bag is wonderful combination!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fantastic journey you've been embarking on. Hooray for no more 6am starts! Phewwww lol, though relatives making all that noise, blah. But when you leave and go home I'm sure you'll miss it all. I love to see a bit of both when it comes to traveling though if I'm in a new country I usually stick to the concrete jungles than the rural since I am unfamiliar and stuff. Plus by that stage I've probably made hundreds of notes on places and things I need to see in that city which ends up consuming me! But sometimes it's just nice to experience something different to what you're used to, and to really get to know and understand the way that country really is like through it's people.

    Have a great week gorgeous and can't wait for more tales!
    Sxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment