Shopaholicism: A Seriously Bad Habit (that feels so good)


 

Hello to one and all, how's your week going?
A few days ago I went to the local mall to buy some supplies for a VBS (Vacation Bible School) program that I am running next week. However, as soon as I saw the "10-40% Final Sales: Store Closing" signs at Zellers, I knew it was both answering my prayers and damning my wallet to poverty. It was good because I could use those sales to my advantage and buy some cheap snacks and supplies for the kids and programs. However, after picking up what seemed like countless bags of candy and crepe paper, I naughtily made my way over to the makeup/accessory section. While I usually avoid Zellers like the plague due to its rep as being, well, Zellers, I couldn't help but be curious about the bargains I could find there. True to my suspicions, I found several cute and very cheap bracelets that were all 50% or more off!

I also ended up walking into Sephora and dropping a casual $153 something on perfume and skin serum. Nbd. I think I saved the receipt in my drawer just to remind myself of the shameful expense. Luckily for consumerism, I actually read those online beauty and fashion articles that are posted up on Twitter (especially when I am bored waiting for an appointment or a meeting, which is often). Unfortunately for my bank account, I ended up buying a $60 skin serum that better work extreme wonders on my skin and protect it from aging and all kinds of heck. Under the recommendation of a Sephora employee, I bought the Ole Henriksen Truth Serum Collagen Booster that, according to the website, is "like a daily vitamin for your face." Supposedly, "this high powered vitamin C complex helps smooth out lines and wrinkles and prevents further damage." Also, it is "loaded with antioxidants to fight off environmental aggressors and moisture-binding ingredients to keep your skin nourished and protected." Better not be B.S.

I also ended up getting new LaVanilla Laboratories perfume, which I needed. Kind of. And buying bronzer from London Drugs, which I definitely did not need but most certainly wanted!

I'm trying to shop less and start spending my time on more productive things, like writing or reading more. Do any of you have any unsavory habits you want to change?
















Comments