Summer Magic: Vancouver Mural Fest 2017


While, as the title suggests, this post is primarily about the Vancouver Mural Festival, I just have to share about the past few days that I've spent in Edmonton for my first work trip. To start things off, I can truly state that all of my experiences have been overwhelmingly positive and that everyone has gone out of their way to make me feel welcome in my new company. While I definitely miss my old coworkers, I must say that I am confident that I made a good choice in choosing my new role.  After only three days, I know that I will sorely miss this Edmonton-based group when going back to the Vancouver office; hopefully, I will be able to visit them again one day for "training purposes." 

As well, I am proud that my first ever solo trip has gone so smoothly. I can say I constantly forced myself out of my comfort zone even when I felt like being an introvert (ie. go back to my hotel room right after work and watch Netflix). Instead, I went for drinks, dinners, lunches, and other fun activities (an aerial park!) with my wonderful new team; as a result, I bonded with everyone on a much deeper level than I would have just within the workplace. Additionally, I made sure to make a quick trip to West Edmonton Mall (just before closing time so that I wouldn't be tempted to shop)-- just to say I did. 

In other words, I feel like travel is a necessity for personal growth and development; furthermore, a solo trip forces you to be completely independent and to go with the flow (ie. let go of what you cannot control but be as organized as possible). Luckily, my first solo trip was such an easy one: three days in Edmonton is hardly the most intimidating trip and my hotel was a short four minute walk from head office. After doing this, I feel like I wouldn't mind a solo trip one day for leisure purposes!


Getting back to the Vancouver Mural Festival, I was so excited and blessed to have a very small role in the wonderful event. The festival was running for a second year and was inviting a plethora of local talent to beautify the walls of Vancouver. While I wasn't very knowledgeable about it last year, one of my best friends, Tia, would heighten my awareness of the festival as she was one of the participants. While the end result was absolutely gorgeous, she (and the rest of our friend group) really had no idea how much dedication and hard work would be involved. 

Although it was the first mural she had ever created, she was given a large 86 ft. wall to cover with her original design; additionally, her work had to be coordinated with several other artists painting different walls of the same building. As there was an "under-the-sea" theme, she and her fellow team painted mermaids and other sea creatures; however, they painted each of their respective walls in their own distinctive styles. While it wasn't all butterflies and rainbows, I heard that most of the artists were wonderfully supportive and collaborative with one another. As well, it was fortunate that my friend received lots of volunteer support to finish painting the minor details of the wall (including yours truly). 

As she had only nine days to complete the gigantic space, I and two other besties visited her about six days in to see what little we could contribute. As we are by no means qualified artists, none of us thought that we would be helping with anything more than painting the background. On the contrary, our friend was kind enough to trust us with painting jellyfish and seaweed! Luckily, our "paint nights" somewhat paid off and I think we didn't degrade her mural too badly. While our little painting session was a mere two hours, Tia worked for about eight to twelve hours everyday for more than a week! I have always been the biggest fan of this girl's work and passion for art; however, my respect for and admiration of her drive and discipline deepens on a daily basis. 



Outfit Details
Top // Urban Behaviour
Pants // Wilfred
Shoes // Birkenstocks
Hat // H&M
Bag // Rebecca Minkoff

When the day of the actual Vancouver Mural Festival arrived, the hubby and I were able to visit Main Street in order to join in the festivities and admire the new public art to be had in our city. I loved seeing all of the live painting, gorgeous murals, and live music/dancing happening on the streets. In fact, I intend to revisit the designated areas to check out all of the murals and take even more photos (without the crowds). 


It's hard to believe that more than nine years ago, Tia and I were drawing in our high school library, getting shushed by our overly-strict librarian, and dreaming of being artists. Although my current career path is not quite the creative one I envisioned, I am so proud that she has pursued her love for art and that I am there to witness her steady and impressive progress. I love you! 

Comments