Baked Apple Frittata Cups




One of my summer break to-dos was to try out new recipes, which included desserts more unusual than the typical cupcake or cookie choices. So when I saw a recipe for baked apple frittata cups in the 24 Hours newspaper, I knew I had to try it! Even though I found the recipe in mid-February, it took me all the way until May to finally do it!
So anyways, here is how I did it (recipe copied from 24 Hours):

Cups:
  • 1 tbsp. (15ml) butter (to grease muffin pan)
  • 24 small wonton wrappers
Filling:
  • 4 eggs
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1 medium apple, cored & diced (Empire, Gala, Ida Red, Crispin, or Cortland)
  • 2 tsp. (10ml) ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup (125ml) wholegrain granola blend 
  • 1/4 cup (50ml) walnut pieces
  • 1/4 cup of raisins (optional)
  • 1/4 cup of brown sugar (recommended by me)
  1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly grease muffin pan with butter. Insert two wonton wrappers into each muffin cup and overlap them to form a flower-shaped cup.
  2. Bake these flower cups for 3-4 minutes until their edges are lightly golden, then remove from the oven and cool in pan. 
  3. In a small bowl, beat eggs and then add in the brown sugar and the pinch of salt. Then in a larger bowl, mix the cinnamon and diced apple together. Then put in 1 tbsp. of the apple mixture into each cup. Then top it with 2 tsp. of the egg mixture. Top this with 2 tsp. of granola, followed by 1 tsp. of walnuts. Then I recommend that you put on one more tsp. of egg mixture over the cup to glaze over the top.
  4. Return pan to over and bake for 10 minutes or until the top is firm to the touch. Cool for a few minutes before removing from the pan.  
  5. I also chose to top my frittata cups off with sliced strawberries and bananas. Be creative!


I had lots of fun making these treats, hope you can maybe find the time to make them yourself!


Comments